Ariana Grande gets a tattoo dedicated to Pete Davidson’s dad who died on 9/11

first_imgLos Angeles, Jul 1 (PTI) Singer Ariana Grande has honoured fiance Pete Davidson’s father, Scott Davidson, who was killed on 9/11, with the help of a tattoo. The 25-year-old singer sported a new tattoo on her foot of the numbers “8418,” which is the badge number worn by the late New York City firefighter who died in 2001 during the Twin Tower attacks. Davidson, 24, has the same tribute to his father, sporting an 8418 tattoo on his left arm. Last month, Davidson got two tattoos in honour of the “No Tears Left to Cry” singer: a black bunny ears mask inspired by the artwork from the singer’s ‘Dangerous Woman’ album, behind his ear and Grande’s initials on his thumb. PTI SHDSHDlast_img

READ MORE

Twitter testing feature that will let you hide replies to your tweets

first_img 0 If you ever get frustrated by inane and even toxic replies degrading the value of your tweets, or even hijacking the thread completely, Twitter might have a solution for you.The social networking company on Thursday confirmed it’s developing a “Hide Tweet” feature that lets users protect their conversations by hiding individual replies to tweets. The “Hide Tweet” option was discovered in code for the Twitter Android app by Jane Manchun Wong, who tweeted about her findings on Thursday. “Twitter is testing replies moderation,” Wong tweeted Thursday morning. “It lets you to hide replies under your tweets, while providing an option to show the hidden replies.” The feature could help improve the health and civility of conversations on Twitter, which has come under fire multiple times in recent years for not doing enough to combat harassment on the platform. A study last year even found that the site is a “toxic place” especially for female journalists and politicians.Twitter representatives didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, but Michelle Yasmeen Haq, a senior program manager at Twitter discussed the new feature this afternoon in a thread on her personal Twitter account.”People who start interesting conversations on Twitter are really important to us, and we want to empower them to make the conversations they start as healthy as possible by giving them some control,” Haq wrote in a tweet explaining the feature.”We already see people trying keep their conversations healthy by using block, mute, and report, but these tools don’t always address the issue,” she said. “With this feature, the person who started a conversation could choose to hide replies to their tweets. The hidden replies would be viewable by others through a menu option.”The feature’s transparency will also allow the community to recognize and call out people who use the feature to hide content they disagree with, she said. Haq said Twitter plans to begin testing the feature in the coming months. Share your voice Twitter is testing replies moderation. It lets you to hide replies under your tweets, while providing an option to show the hidden replies pic.twitter.com/dE19w4TLtp— Jane Manchun Wong (@wongmjane) February 28, 2019 Internet Tech Industry Tags Post a comment Twitterlast_img read more

READ MORE
Nijoshree to fulfill lowermiddle class housing dreams Mamata

Nijoshree to fulfill lowermiddle class housing dreams Mamata

first_imgKolkata: The Mamata Banerjee government has introduced “Nijoshree” project to help people from the lower-middle class groups to get their own dream homes at a minimum price.One with income below Rs 15,000 per month and Rs 30,000 per month will be eligible to get one BHK and two BHK flats respectively. A target of constructing 50,000 flats has been set under the project for which the state Housing department is the nodal agency.A one BHK flat will be of 378 sq feet carpet area and it would cost Rs 7.28 lakh while one has to pay Rs 9.26 lakh for a two BHK flat of 559 sq feet carpet area. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsFirhad Hakim, the state Urban Development and Municipal Affairs minister, announced the project at Nabanna on Wednesday after the Cabinet meeting. He said: “There are projects to extend support to people from the BPL group to get their own homes. But it came to our notice that there was nothing as such for the lower middle-class people. Keeping this in mind, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has decided to introduce “Nijoshree” under which flats will be allotted to people from the said group. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedHe said that a target has been set to give shape to the project within the next two years. “We have already identified some plots where construction of the building will begin soon. At the same time all the concerned departments, development authorities, municipalities, Corporations and panchayats have also been directed to identify plots for the project,” he said.The concerned departments, development authorities and civic bodies can also construct the buildings under the project on the lands they identify. But it will get distributed by the state Housing department. Each of the buildings will be five-storeyed ones. But there will be no elevators considering that it will increase the maintenance cost. One interested to get a flat in the five-storeyed buildings will have to apply for a flat through a website that the state Housing department will be launching soon. Subsequently, there will be a lottery to allot the flats. Assistance will also be provided to ensure bank loans for purchase. A person cannot apply for the second time if once a flat gets allotted against his or her name.last_img read more

READ MORE
3 trains to bring back Kolkattans stuck in Kerala

3 trains to bring back Kolkattans stuck in Kerala

first_imgKolkata: The state government is taking all the necessary steps to ensure the safe return of those hailing from Bengal and are stuck in flood-hit Kerala. A large number will reach Kolkata in three trains on Monday night. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said at Nabanna: “Three trains are coming from Kerala. Necessary measures would be taken so that they can reach their houses safely after reaching Kolkata. There will be arrangements for special buses in which they will be taken home.”Firhad Hakim, the state Urban Development minister, Rajib Banerjee, the state Backward Class Welfare minister and Arup Roy, the state Co-operation minister, will be receiving those who will reach Kolkata in three trains.last_img

READ MORE

Drone used to hunt suspected drinkdriver after serious accident on Christmas Eve

first_imgRead MoreWeather warning for fog issued for North Staffordshire and South Cheshire Want to tell us about something going on where you live? Let us know – Tweet us @SOTLive or message us on our Facebook page . And if you have pictures to share, tag us on Instagram at StokeonTrentLive . Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailPolice have tonight used a drone to trace a man following a serious accident in the Staffordshire Moorlands. The A52 Leek Road remained blocked due to the accident at the junction with the A522 near Kingsley Moor, – according to Inrix, the traffic data company. The road is now reported to have reopened following the collision tonight (December 24). The drone, operated by West Midlands Police, was used to search for the man, who had left the scene of the collision, in the Cellarhead area. Read MoreHundreds – including celebrities – offer Snoop dog a home as footage of him being dumped in Stoke-on-Trent goes viral The drone being deployed in Cellarhead tonight (Image: West Midlands Police) He has now been located and arrested. A West Midlands Police spokesman said: “Deployed to assist Staffordshire Police for search of male missing from a serious RTC in Kingsley Moor, near Stoke-on-Trent. “Male located and soon to be in custody for drink driving offences.” We have no further information on the accident itself, which is understood to have taken place shortly before 5.30pm this evening, at this stage. center_img The reported location of the accident tonight (Image: Inrix)last_img read more

READ MORE
New holiday experience coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

New holiday experience coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

first_img Travelweek Group New holiday experience coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Tuesday, April 18, 2017 Posted by ORLANDO — Christmas will be extra magical this year, thanks to a new holiday experience at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.Universal Orlando Resort has announced the new experience as part of its destination-wide holiday celebration, which also includes a brand new parade featuring Macys. The 2017 Holidays celebration will run for more dates than ever before, from Nov. 18, 2017 to Jan. 6, 2018.This November, Hogwarts castle will magically transform right before guests’ eyes, with state-of-the-art projection mapping and special effects wrapping the iconic castle. Festive décor will line the streets of both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, while each storefront will be decked out with uniquely themed decorations.Meanwhile, Universals Holidays Parade feature Macys will take place in Universal Studios Florida and feature detailed floats and balloons and beloved characters like the Minions from ‘Despicable Me’, popular DreamWorks characters from ‘Madagascar’ and ‘Shrek’ and even Santa Claus himself. Universal is partnering with Macys, the global leader in balloon entertainment, to bring this new parade experience to life.More news:  FIVE FESTIVE FOODS TO TRY AT EUROPE’S CHRISTMAS MARKETSTo make the most of their holiday stay, clients can book the ‘Splash, Stay and Play’ vacation package, priced from US$165 per adult, per night (tax inclusive). Package includes four-night hotel accommodations at Universals Cabana Bay Beach Resort and a four-day park ticket that includes admission to all three Universal theme parks.For more information go to UniversalTravelAgents.com.center_img Tags: Christmas, Universal Studios Share << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more

READ MORE
Oh the Places Youll Go Dr Seuss museum opens its doors in

Oh the Places Youll Go Dr Seuss museum opens its doors in

first_imgOh the Places You’ll Go! Dr. Seuss museum opens its doors in Massachusetts SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — From the squiggly, pink handrails outside the entrance to the front hall decorated with scenes from “And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street” – a real street just blocks away – the new Amazing World of Dr. Seuss museum says “You’re off to Great Places!”Walking into to the museum opening to the public Saturday in the author and illustrator’s hometown of Springfield, Massachusetts, is like walking into one of his beloved children’s books.The museum dedicated to Theodor Geisel – who under the pen name Dr. Seuss wrote and illustrated dozens of rhyming children’s books including “The Cat in the Hat” and “Green Eggs and Ham” – features interactive exhibits, artwork never before displayed publicly and explains how his childhood experiences in the city about 145 kilometres west of Boston shaped his work.“He would absolutely be at ease here,” said Leagrey Dimond, one of Geisel’s stepdaughters (He didn’t have any biological children). “And to know that he’s going to be here permanently, safe, protected, that people who want to know more are going to make this trip here to see him, it’s perfect.”Examples of Geisel’s early advertising work and World War II-era propaganda and political illustrations that critics consider racist are conspicuously absent, but that’s because the museum is aimed primarily at children, said Kay Simpson, president of the Springfield Museums complex.The organization has in the past hosted exhibits of Geisel’s wartime work, she said.More news:  Can you guess the top Instagrammed wedding locations in the world?Kids are definitely the focus of the first floor of the museum, created in conjunction with Dr. Seuss Enterprises, the family company that protects Geisel’s legacy. It features games and climbable statues of Horton, the stack of turtles from “Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories” and Thing 1 and Thing 2 from “The Cat in the Hat.”“This museum is about visitors encountering the creatures that sprang out from Ted Geisel’s imagination – Horton, the Cat in the Hat, the Lorax, Sam I Am – that got kids excited about reading, which was really his preoccupation later on in his career,” Simpson said.Visitors are taken through Geisel’s boyhood bedroom, his grandparents’ bakery and brewery and different rooms painted in brilliant blues and radiant reds, and decorated in almost fanatical detail with scenes from the books.The museum’s second floor has a more intimate feeling with the actual furnishings and assorted knick-knacks from Geisel’s studio from the La Jolla, California, home where he lived until his death in 1991 at age 87. Even his collection of 117 bowties is on display.But by not referencing Geisel’s wartime work, which often stereotyped the Japanese, the museum is telling only half the story, said Katie Ishizuka, who has written on Geisel’s work.“They don’t acknowledge the full picture of him or they try to minimize that or sweep it under the rug,” said Ishizuka, director of The Conscious Kid Library, which lends what she says are more diverse and appropriate books for young readers.More news:  Visit Orlando unveils new travel trade tools & agent perksEven in his children’s books, characters of colour are subservient or secondary to the white characters, or depicted as stereotypes and caricatures, she said.Dimond never heard a prejudiced word out of Geisel, she said, and knows he had some regrets about the wartime work.“If there is criticism of Ted, it has its place,” she said. “I would never try to, and he would not want any of us to try to hide away anything he did. I know that he changed with the times.”Richard Minear, a professor emeritus of Japanese history at the University of Massachusetts, who wrote “Dr. Seuss Goes to War” about his political illustrations, says Geisel certainly had a blind spot on race, but it’s not fair to judge his entire career on that work.“He matured and he developed a whole lot from those early years,” Minear said, noting that “Horton Hears a Who!” was an allegory about post-war Japan and the nation’s relationship with the U.S.The museum is expected to draw about 100,000 visitors annually and along with a $1 billion casino scheduled to open in 2018, is part of the Springfield’s economic renaissance, Mayor Domenic Sarno said. Geisel belongs in his hometown, the mayor said.“Any other city in the country would be salivating to have a museum for a world-renowned author like Dr. Seuss,” he said. << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Tags: Museums By: Mark PrattSource: The Associated Press Monday, June 5, 2017 last_img read more

READ MORE
Sabre cutting 900 jobs after 65 million loss

Sabre cutting 900 jobs after 65 million loss

first_imgTags: Profit Report, Sabre Share Sabre cutting 900 jobs after $6.5 million loss Wednesday, August 2, 2017 << Previous PostNext Post >> SOUTHLAKE, Texas — Sabre Corp. on Tuesday said it is cutting 9% of its global workforce to lower costs. It also reported a second-quarter loss of $6.5 million, compared with a profit the year before.Sabre, a provider of technology services to the travel industry, had 10,000 employees at the end of 2016, so the cuts amount to about 900 jobs.The job cuts are part of a cost-trimming and reorganization program that the company said will save $110 million a year.Southlake, Texas-based Sabre said it had a loss of 2 cents per share in the quarter that ended June 30. Adjusted for one-time gains and costs, results came to earnings of 35 cents per share, topping the average estimate of five analysts surveyed by Zacks Investment Research by 1 cent.Sabre said its revenue rose 6.6 per cent to $900.7 million in the period. Five analysts surveyed by Zacks expected $894 million.It expects full-year earnings in the range of $1.31 to $1.45 per share, with revenue in the range of $3.54 billion to $3.62 billion.More news:  Windstar celebrates record-breaking bookings in JulySabre’s stock added 2 per cent to $20.20 in after-hours trading. The shares closed down $2.32, or 10.5 per cent, to $19.81 Tuesday and have dropped 21 per cent since the beginning of the year. Source: The Associated Presslast_img read more

READ MORE