U.S. to Strengthen Military Cooperation with Argentina

first_imgBy Eduardo Szklarz/Diálogo August 20, 2018 During his first official visit to South America, U.S. Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis described Argentina as a “partner and a friend.” Mattis and Argentine Minister of Defense Oscar Aguad held a press conference at the Ministry of Defense in Buenos Aires, August 15, 2018. “We want closer military collaboration with Argentina,” Mattis told the press. “Trusted and transparent military relations between democracies in our hemisphere are a positive factor in terms of stability and safety of our people.” Mattis is the first U.S. secretary of defense to come to Buenos Aires since Donald Rumsfeld in 2005. He arrived in the city after visiting Brasília and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, as part of a regional tour that includes Chile and Colombia. The head of the Pentagon said that the United States appreciates Argentina’s “growing role on the global stage, illustrated by your hosting the G20 Summit.” The event to be held November 30-December 1, 2018, in Buenos Aires, will gather the heads of state from major economies of the world. “As Vice President [Mike] Pence said in his visit last year, Argentina’s global leadership is good for our hemisphere,” Mattis said. The visit, for Minister Aguad, favored talks about common interests and strengthened both countries’ strategic relationship. “The closeness of our nations is reflected in the U.S. collaboration during the ARA San Juan’s tragedy,” Minister Aguad said about the Argentine Navy’s submarine and its crew of 44 that went missing on November 15, 2017. “This country contributed the most to searches. We want to thank you once more for a gesture that will never be forgotten.” Weapons of mass destruction Mattis said the United States. and Argentina are working together in a wide range of measures, including humanitarian assistance, natural disaster relief, and the non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. He highlighted the importance of the State Partnership Program (SPP), implemented in 2016 between the Argentine Ministry of Defense and the Georgia Army National Guard. For Aguad, opportunities to improve U.S. and Argentina’s collaboration abound. “Although Argentina pulled away from its loyal partners and friends for many years, we are back on the track we should never have left,” he said. “Much was achieved in the bilateral relationship, yet much more can be done. As our President [Mauricio] Macri said during his visit to the White House, we are committed to a smart, mutually beneficial relationship. We have a lot to build. We will work today for the present and the future of our relations.” The official program for the visit was not released. However, according to local media, Mattis and Aguad addressed cybersecurity, military sales, and cooperation in peacekeeping missions. The restructuring of the Argentine Armed Forces, which President Macri announced in July, was another topic of discussion. Service members’ new role will include logistics support for security forces in the fight against narcotrafficking, among other duties. “I have come to Buenos Aires to listen, to learn. And I look forward to finding new ways to deepen our mutually beneficial defense relationship. Together we can help forge a brighter future for the next generation of Argentines and North Americans,” Mattis told the press. Shared values According to Mattis, the meeting with Aguad perpetuates the bilateral relationship that started 200 years ago. He recalled Argentine air support to the United States during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. The U.S., he added, “won’t forget” that Argentina also sent naval ships to Iraq during the Gulf War of 1991. “Today, the U.S. and Argentina are bound by ties of history and of our shared love of freedom, democracy, the rule of law, to guarantee personal liberty of our citizens,” he said. At the end of the conference, Mattis, a retired U.S. Marine Corps general, thanked Argentines for their warm welcome. “Since arriving in Buenos Aires last evening, I have enjoyed the same warm, gracious hospitality that our vice president enjoyed in this city, hospitality that the Argentine poet Jorge Luis Borges called ‘as eternal as water and air.’”last_img read more

READ MORE

US astronauts enter space station in milestone mission

first_imgThe arrival completed the first leg of the trip, designed to test the capabilities of the Crew Dragon capsule. But the mission will only be declared a success when the astronauts return safely to Earth in a few months’ time. NASA astronauts entered the International Space Station on Sunday after a landmark 19-hour journey on the first crewed United States spacecraft in nearly a decade, a triumph for SpaceX and private enterprise. Douglas Hurley (R) and Robert Behnken (2ndR) arrive at the International Space Station, to be greeted by other astronauts The spaceship’s hatch opened at 1:02 p.m. Eastern Time (1702 GMT) as Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley carried out final procedures before crossing the threshold about 20 minutes later. Wearing black polo shirts and khaki pants, they were greeted by fellow American astronaut Chris Cassidy, as well as Russia cosmonauts Anatoli Ivanishin and Ivan Vagner.  (AFP)last_img read more

READ MORE

CBN Tennis: Oyinlomo Quadri Upsets Top Seed Blessing Samuel

first_imgUpcoming junior tennis sensation, Oyinlomo Quardri Thursday created a major upset at the on-going 41st Central Bank of Nigeria Open Senior Tennis Championship when she defeated tournament top seed, Blessing Samuel 2-0 ( 6-1, 6-1) in their quarter- final clash to book a semi-final ticket.Unseeded Oyinlomo who entered the tournament through a wild card granted her by the Nigeria Tennis Federation, kept no one in doubt about her mission in this year’s tournament.She defeated Number 3 seed, Airhunwunde Osariemen 6-0, 6-0 in one of the second round matches to come face to face with the Number 1 seed Blessing Samuel whom she equally sent to the cleaners.Having proved bookmakers wrong, Oyinlomo said she wasn’t surprised beating the top players having defeated her at the National Sports Festival held in December 2018 in Abuja. With the top seed out of the way, 16-year old Oyinlomo said she now has her eyes fixed on the CBN trophy plus the N.7million star prize money but hopes to take the rest games one at a time.Women seed 2, Christy Agugbom did not disappointed her fans as she recorded a two straight win of 6-1, 6-3, over another junior player, Omolayo Bamidele in their quarter final match up to move into today’s semi-final.Also Blessing Anuna beat Bukola Olowu 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 to also move on.Aanu Aiyegbusi outplayed Jumai Mohammed 6-2, 6-3 in another quarter final encounter to also claim a semi-final ticket.According to the fixtures, giant killer, Oyinlomo Quardri will face Blessing Anuna in the first women singles semi-finals while Number 2 seed, Christy Agugbom battles Aanu Aiyegbusi in the second semis which promises to be a titanic battle between the two top players in the country.In the men’s singles category, top seed and defending champion, Sylvester Emmanuel, defeated Oche Adeyi, 7-5, 6-0 to cruise into the quarter-finals and same goes to tournament seed 2, Imeh Joseph who beat Christian Paul 6-2, 6-3. to move into the last 8 as well.Six times winner, Abdulmumuni Babalola beat Joseph Iyorhe 6-2, 6-3. Nonso Madueke outclassed Idoko Emmanuel 6-3, 6-1 while Thomas Otu stopped Albert Bikom 7-5, 6-3, as old warhorse, Shehu Lawal dropped Uche Oparaoji, 6-2, 6-3.The men’s singles quarter-finals and semi finals will be played today while the men’s and women’s doubles finals as well as the wheelchair events finals also comes up today ahead of Saturday’s grand finale which holds at the package ‘B’ of the MKO Stadium, former National Stadium Abuja.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

READ MORE

Marshalltown parents make emotional plea for missing son to come home

first_imgMARSHALLTOWN — The parents of a missing Marshalltown teen held a news conference at the city library Thursday night to ask for help in finding their son.Thirteen-year-old Corey Brown left his home late Tuesday night, apparently after a discussion with his parents, who took away his cellphone as punishment. His dad Craig Brown spoke directly to his son. “Corey, if you are out there bud, you are not in trouble. Just come home,” Brown said. “And if anybody has any information, you are not going to get into trouble either. Just please call the Marshalltown Police Department. We love you bud.”Corey’s mom Michelle was emotional as she made a plea to her son. “You know how much I love you and I am not going to stop until we find you. If you are out there, please come home. We love you more than you will ever now,” his mom said. She also appealed to anyone who may know where Corey is. “And parents — if this was your child you would want them home too — so please do the right thing and call the police department. Get Corey home to us. Please,” Brown said. “I love you Corey. Come home.”Anyone with information is encouraged to call Marshalltown Police Department at 641-754-5725 or Crime Stoppers at 641-753-1234. Information can also be sent by texting the word “marshall” with any information to 274637 or online at www.marshallcountycs.com.last_img read more

READ MORE

Microsoft, Apple sign five-year pact on Office software for Macs

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SEATTLE (AP) – Apple Computer Inc. won’t thwart users from loading Microsoft’s Windows operating system onto its new Intel-based Macintosh computers – but don’t expect Apple to start offering a Mac running Windows. Phil Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in an interview Tuesday that the company won’t sell or support Windows itself, but also hasn’t done anything to preclude people from loading Windows onto the machines themselves. “That’s fine with us. We don’t mind,” Schiller said. “If there are people who love our hardware but are forced to put up with a Windows world, then that’s OK.” Schiller made the comments at Tuesday’s Macworld Expo, where Microsoft also said it had signed a five-year pact with Apple to develop versions of Office for Macs and announced plans to release a version of Office that will be compatible with Apple’s new Intel-based computers. Macs currently run Apple’s own proprietary operating system, which competes with Windows. However, since Windows is much more dominant, Mac users don’t necessarily have access to many software programs written only for Windows. Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple on Tuesday unveiled its first computers using Intel chips, which power most PCs using Windows. The switch could technically and theoretically allow a person to load Windows onto a Mac computer, although the user would require some technical expertise to pull it off. That would allow a person to run both Microsoft and Apple’s operating systems on the same Apple machine. It was news Microsoft Corp. welcomed. “Any new machines that are on the market that run Windows are great,” said Scott Erickson, director of product management and marketing for Microsoft’s Mac business unit. Erickson said it was too early to say how Microsoft might take advantage of an ability to run Windows on Macs, saying only that it could give Mac users the potential to run Windows-based applications they previously couldn’t. Still, Erickson said Microsoft remains committed to offering a version of its Office business software for Macintosh computers. Microsoft, based in Redmond, wouldn’t say when the new version of Office for Macs will be released or what it will cost. Erickson said the company last released a version of its Office business software for Macs in May of 2004, and Microsoft generally releases updates every two to three years. Erickson said the five-year deal, in which no money changed hands, should help quell customer concerns that Microsoft will stop developing software for its rival. “What we wanted to do was just put to rest the question of, ‘Hey, are they going to be around now that (Apple is) making a major switch to Intel?’” Erickson said. This is the second time Microsoft and Apple have signed pledges to work together, although Microsoft has developed software for Macintoshes for more than two decades. — AP Technology Writer May Wong contributed to this report.last_img read more

READ MORE