Mexico: 14 alleged Zetas arrested

first_img ZACATECAS, Mexico — The Mexican army detained 14 alleged members of the Los Zetas drug cartel on June 27. Military personnel patrolling the municipality of Lagos de Moreno, in the state of Jalisco, spotted a convoy of four luxury SUVs. The convoy refused to stop when told to halt by the patrol but the vehicles were eventually detained as they crossed the state line into Zacatecas. Authorities seized 11 assault rifles, 2,800 assault-rifle magazines, 10 grenades and communications equipment from the SUVs. The alleged Zetas, 13 men and one woman, were transferred to police and Attorney General’s Office personnel for questioning and processing. By Dialogo June 28, 2012 [Excelsior.com.mx (Mexico), 28/06/2012; Eluniversal.com.mx (Mexico), 28/06/2012]last_img read more

READ MORE

Hall of Fame Night checkers fly for Wilinski

first_imgThe yellow flag was the only thing that slowed Wilinski as he again jumped to a dominating lead on the restart. Wyatt Block, Rothe and Konnor Wilinski were left to sort things out for second at the line with Block grabbing the spot followed by Roth and Konnor Wilinski in the top four. Not to be outdone, Dan Michonski got by polesitter Asa Doxtator on lap one of the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car feature and proceeded to disappear from the pack on his way to a green to checkers win.  SHAWANO, Wis. (June 1) – Jerry Wilinski was the IMCA Modified winner on Hall of Fame Induction Night at Shawano Speedway.  By Dave Buss Wilinski skated by Tim Rothe on the second lap to grab the lead in the Saturday main event. Wilinski checked out from the field until a lap nine caution brought the pack back together. center_img Jerry Wilinski won the Saturday IMCA Modified main event at Shawano Speedway. (Photo by Turn 2 Pho­tos) A late caution changed everything in the Karl Kustoms Northern SportMod feature as Vince Enge­bregtsen had a great restart and charged to the lead, capturing the win with Kevin Bethke second and Jordan Bartz third.  Gary Roehrborn and Tom Naeyaert were inducted into the Shawano Speedway Hall of Fame during a ceremony at intermission.last_img read more

READ MORE

The Latest: Bundesliga players to be reminded about protocol

first_img May 18, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Bundesliga soccer players will be reminded not to celebrate goals together after Hertha Berlin’s team shared hugs and high fives over the weekend. ___Celtic has been declared Scottish champion after the country’s top soccer league was cut short because of the coronavirus outbreak.It is Celtic’s ninth straight title.The Scottish Professional Football League says clubs expressed a unanimous view that there is no prospect of completing the season.The SPFL says it has accepted their decision and is now able to pay out $8.5 million in fees “to help clubs stay afloat.” Associated Press The Spanish soccer player who threatened to quit his team rather than risk being infected by the coronavirus has returned to training.Cádiz defender Fali Giménez rejoined his teammates at the second-division club about a month after saying he wouldn’t play again unless there was a vaccine for COVID-19 or if he was assured 100% that he wouldn’t get infected after being back on the field.Giménez did not practice last week as the rest of the squad returned to training nearly two months after soccer was halted.The 26-year-old Spaniard had said it didn’t make sense to play soccer while people were dying because of the virus. He said he would not forgive himself if he got infected and passed the virus to a family member.Cádiz lauded Giménez’s return and published photos and videos of him training with his teammates. He underwent alternative drills because he missed last week’s sessions. Most teams have stuck to restrained arm bumps when they score but Hertha’s more exuberant celebrations in the 3-0 win over Hoffenheim on Saturday prompted criticism they were undermining the league’s social distancing guidelines.Bundesliga International CEO Robert Klein says clubs “are speaking with (players) day in, day out to tell them and remind them of what needs to be done to ensure that we can earn the right to go to a second match day and a third match day and then to finish the season.”Klein says overall the guidelines were “well respected” as the top two divisions in German soccer returned to action amid the coronavirus pandemic.Players can’t be fined or banned for celebrating together.___ Rayo Vallecano was in 11th place when the second division was halted in mid-March. The Spanish league hopes the season will restart on the second weekend of June.___The English Football Association says it is in discussion with clubs in the top women’s league about the possibility of cutting short the season because of the coronavirus pandemic.The FA says there are “significant challenges” in completing the season and the governing body is seeking views on the “most appropriate sporting outcome.”Manchester City leads the Women’s Super League by one point. Chelsea is second and has played one game fewer. There have been no games in the Scottish Premiership since March 13 because of the pandemic. Final season placings have been determined by points per game up to that point.Celtic had 80 points from 30 games so has 2.66 points per game. Rangers finished second with 2.31 points per game.Hearts has been relegated.___A soccer player in Germany for third-division club Chemnitz has tested positive for the coronavirus. No league games have been played since February.___UEFA says it has postponed an executive committee meeting by three weeks because of issues regarding the venues for the rescheduled European Championship in 2021.The 24-team tournament was pushed back a year because of the coronavirus pandemic. It is scheduled to use 12 stadiums in 12 nations.UEFA wanted the host cities to confirm they could still stage games.center_img The governing body of European soccer says its executive committee will meet on June 17 instead of May 27 “due to the existence of some remaining open points regarding a small number of proposed venues” for Euro 2020.UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has said Euro 2020 can be staged without all 12 stadiums.___Premier League clubs have agreed on the measures that will allow non-contact training sessions to resume this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.The protocols for socially distanced training in small groups were signed off by the clubs during a conference call following a government decision to ease lockdown restrictions in England. The Latest: Bundesliga players to be reminded about protocol The league says it will try to accommodate the club’s wishes amid the coronavirus pandemic.The measure could be used by clubs to avoid playing famous clubs or bitter rivals in front of empty stands for matches that usually draw many fans and generate big ticketing revenue.All sporting competitions in Belgium will remain suspended until July 31 because of the health situation and all mass events have been banned until Aug. 31. The first round of soccer matches for next season will likely be played without fans when the league resumes on Aug. 7.Club Brugge was awarded its 16th Belgian title last week after the league announced the end of the season with the current standings declared final.___ Italian clubs resumed training on an individual basis on May 4 when lockdown measures in the country started to ease. They were slated to return to training together on Monday but they have not yet been given the green light to do so by the Italian government’s scientific panel.The medical protocol for the resumption of Serie A has proved contentious but a revised document was delivered to Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora on Sunday and is expected to be given to the scientific panel on Monday.Serie A plans to resume on June 13.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Contact training and matches have yet to be allowed by the government.The Premier League season was suspended in March with Liverpool leading by 25 points with nine games remaining.Coronavirus testing is due to take place twice each week at clubs on up to 40 players, coaches and support staff.___Belgian soccer clubs have been allowed the possibility to designate three teams they don’t want to host in empty stadiums next season. Players from Spanish soccer club Rayo Vallecano have refused to practice in protest against reduced salaries.The players from the second-division club want to be taken off furlough before they return to training. They want to resume earning full salaries now that soccer is starting to come back.Spanish media say the players practiced at home instead of going to the team’s training center for the start of group sessions.Players from second-division club Elche also refused to practice at the team’s training center last week and the club eventually complied with their demands.Most Spanish clubs used government furloughs to reduce their labor costs after the soccer season was halted because of the coronavirus pandemic. Most players had their salaries and working hours reduced by 70%. Chemnitz did not name the player but the club says he is “completely symptom-free.” That player and two other players who had contact with him will spend 14 days in isolation.Chemnitz says the player tested positive in a sample taken Saturday but had tested negative in a sample from two days before that. The club says it can still return to full team training on Tuesday.The first and second divisions in Germany returned to play Saturday but the third-division restart was postponed last week from its planned date of May 26. Some clubs have still not received clearance from local authorities to play or hold full training sessions.___Soccer players in Italy will have to wait at least another 24 hours before restarting full team training.last_img read more

READ MORE

Quarterback Bryce Young commits to Alabama

first_img“I’d like to say a huge thank you to [USC head] coach [Clay] Helton, [offensive coordinator] [Graham] Harrell, [wide receiver] coach [Keary] Colbert, [and] the rest of the USC staff for the opportunity that they have given me,” Young said on Twitter. “I would also like to thank the USC fans and community for all the support. I will always have love for the University of Southern California and wish for nothing but the best for its players, coaching staff and fans.” During his sophomore season last year, the 6-foot-1, 188-pound pocket-passer threw for 2,130 yards and 15 touchdowns over nine games after transferring from Long Beach Poly to Narbonne High School — a perennial powerhouse in Los Angeles. Through five games this season, the junior has already thrown for 1,300 yards and 14 touchdowns. That legacy — and USC’s promising 2020 recruiting class — took a hit with the news of Young’s flip.  Fortunately for the Trojans, the sting of Young’s decommitment did not last long.  With Alabama junior quarterback and Heisman candidate Tua Tagovailoa likely departing for the NFL after the season, the door is open for Young to compete for the starting role as a freshman with the Crimson Tide.  USC will face off against Alabama in Dallas, Texas, to begin the 2020 regular season.  “I’m about to start recruiting,” Garcia said. “We are going to get a lot of guys. A lot of good guys, a lot of top-tier guys to Southern California.” According to 247Sports, Garcia ranks as the No. 4 pro-style quarterback in the 2021 class and the No. 14 prospect overall. With the two current Trojans each making a case to be USC’s starting signal-caller next year, there figured to be at least one odd man out with Young’s impending arrival. Now, that seems to be Young.  Many USC fans were dismayed after Young’s decommitment dropped USC’s 2020 recruiting class from an already underwhelming No. 42 to No. 62 nationally. Historically, the Trojans’ recruiting classes have regularly been ranked among the nation’s elite, and USC’s recent downward trend in recruiting has given many fans cause for concern. “There were no promises given, and I know I have to compete, but I’m coming in with the mindset of competing for playing time right away,” Young said. “I’m going to work my hardest and give myself every opportunity when I get there.”center_img Garcia leads an offense at Narbonne similar to that of Harrell’s Air Raid at USC. Before USC’s season began, Garcia admitted he was apprehensive about the Trojans’ offense. However, after seeing both Slovis and redshirt junior Matt Fink enjoy immediate success upon stepping in, Garcia ultimately decided that the opportunity to play in Harrell’s Air Raid was one he could not pass up.  Young was set to continue establishing Mater Dei as a quarterback pipeline to USC, as Daniels, Matt Barkley and Matt Leinart all came out of the elite Santa Ana program to play quarterback for the Trojans.  Young, a five-star recruit, the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback and the No. 32 overall player in the class of 2020 according to 247Sports, previously committed to USC in July 2018. Garcia announced his commitment after releasing his top 10 schools only two months ago.  Young’s decision comes as the future outlook of the USC quarterback situation has grown increasingly murky. After sophomore JT Daniels’ season-ending knee injury in USC’s season opener, Kedon Slovis has impressed as a true freshman. If he keeps performing well, there figures to be another competition for the starting quarterback role next year. Slovis, however, missed most of USC’s 30-23 victory over Utah Friday after taking a hard hit on the second play from scrimmage. “I was excited when they hired Harrell, and I knew they were going to put up numbers,” Garcia said. “I just didn’t know how well it was going to fit me. But after seeing what they have done so far, and I ended up going to the game at Stanford, it’s pretty much similar to the offense we run at Narbonne. I feel like I’ll be a really good fit.” Former USC football commit quarterback Bryce Young flipped his commitment to the University of Alabama Sunday afternoon. Only a day later, USC rebounded with a verbal commitment from quarterback Jake Garcia, a five-star prospect in the 2021 class. Garcia committed to USC over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and LSU, among others.  “This was definitely one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had to make,” Young said. “USC didn’t do anything wrong, and I love the staff there … This was never about USC not meeting my expectations or anything, it was more about me feeling Alabama was too good of an opportunity to pass up … I have total peace about it right now and I’m really excited about the incredible opportunity. I’m grateful for it and I’m going to be ready to go.” After Garcia’s commitment, USC’s 2021 recruiting class ranks No. 6 nationally. Trojan fans uncertain about the program’s future may finally find a moment to exhale — but Garcia says the work is far from done. last_img read more

READ MORE