40 dead in Bangladeshs worstever dengue outbreak

first_imgDhaka: At least 40 people have died in Bangladesh’s worst-ever outbreak of dengue, officials said Tuesday, as overburdened hospitals struggled to treat thousands of patients. Outbreaks of the mosquito-borne viral infection, which causes flu-like symptoms but can be deadly if it develops into a haemorrhagic fever, usually occur in the South Asian nation during the monsoon season between June and September — but this year the disease has reached epidemic proportions. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US More than 44,000 people have been admitted to hospitals with the illness since January, including some 2,100 on Monday alone, said health ministry official Ayesha Akhter. “We have confirmed 40 dengue-related casualties so far to Monday,” she told AFP. Local media put the number much higher, reporting that the death toll passed 100 last week. The week-long holiday marking the Muslim festival of Eid-al-Adha has seen hundreds of thousands of people leaving Bangladeshi cities to return to their family homes in the countryside, raising concerns that the disease will spread further. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls The country’s health minister said the outbreak was “gradually reducing” while inaugurating an emergency dengue ward at a public hospital in Dhaka this week. For the first time on record, holidays for all public health workers have been cancelled to help respond to the crisis, said health ministry director general Abul Kalam Azad. “It is getting very tough to cope up with the amount of work pressure,” one medical officer told AFP.last_img read more

READ MORE

Applause in Alberta courtroom as charges dropped against man in rural shooting

first_imgOKOTOKS, Alta. – A courtroom erupted in cheers and applause Friday as all charges were dropped against a man accused of firing shots at suspected thieves on his rural property in southern Alberta.The Crown withdrew charges that included aggravated assault and firearms offences against Edouard Maurice at a court appearance in Okotoks south of Calgary.“The Crown’s obligation is always to review on an ongoing basis the strength of the case. In this case, information came to light and as a result there’s not a reasonable chance of conviction at this time,” said Crown prosecutor Jim Sawa.“We’ve received information from a firearms expert and that information was compelling to say the least,” said Sawa, who wouldn’t reveal what the evidence was.“It had a direct impact on the decision today to withdraw the charges.”The cheers from dozens of Maurice supporters prompted a comment from provincial court Judge George Gaschler.“The applause, I’m sure, is for the fair administration of justice Mr. Sawa,” Gaschler said.Maurice, 33, was charged after he confronted two people rummaging through his vehicles in February. Shots was fired and one of the prowlers was slightly wounded.Maurice was cheered by 75 supporters outside the courthouse where he spoke for the first time since his arrest.“It’s a relief it’s over. It’s been quite a tough four months to go through this. It’s been a lot of stress, anxiety. With the support that’s come out, it’s really helped,” he said standing with his wife Jessie and his lawyer.“Without us having to go through this, the rural crime problem wouldn’t be at the forefront. It’s got a lot of attention and now the government and everyone else is stepping up and looking at ways to help us out.”In March, the province announced $10 million in funding to hire more RCMP officers and support specialized crime reduction units in rural communities.Defence lawyer Tonii Roulston said being able to defend property is important and often police are delayed in responding to rural calls.She noted that her client was alone with one of his children and had warned the two prowlers to leave before firing.“We’re certainly not advocating don’t call the police. However, at the same time, individual citizens in rural communities have to be able to defend their property and defend their family.“They can’t wait 20 minutes. In 20 minutes, anything can happen.”The alleged thieves are facing theft, trespassing and mischief charges.The case became one of property rights and the concerns of rural landowners who are victims of crime.“We .. hope this becomes an issue in the election that comes up next year. Obviously it’s an issue much bigger than us,” Jessie Maurice said.Maurice said he can now get on with his life.“I’ll probably take a holiday and spend time with the family,” he said.— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitterlast_img read more

READ MORE