first_imgINISHOWEN LEAGUEBuncrana Credit Union Cup ReportDoubles for Murphy & McColgan Redcastle United 6-2 Illies CelticRedcastle dominated this game for long periods and in the early exchanges Cathal Faulkner fired into the side netting before Liam Davenport saw a free kick saved by Graham Doherty.They then took the lead on 13 minutes when Terry McColgan headed home a Charlie McCormick cross from close range.Illies replied and went close when Sahne Devlins effort drew a good save from Michael McCole.But Redcastle responded and James Curran fired wide after a solo run before McColgan headed wide and a Brendan Murphy overhead kick crashed off the bar just before the interval.On the restart Murphy fired wide before the same player was denied by a good save from Doherty as he bore down on goal.Doherty was again inaction when he saved a Martin Farren header before Redcastle increased their lead when Murphy converted after a good pass from Eamon Donnelly.They made it three then after Brian Tracey advanced and crossed for Murphy to slot home before a great run and cross from Davenport left McCormick with a simple tap in.McCormick then raced onto a long ball from defence to race clear and slot low past Doherty to make it five nil.Illies rallied and James McGonagle got a goal back with a neat finish inside the area .Within a minute they got another goal back when Paul Doherty took advantage of hesitation to fire past McCole.But Redcastle had the final say when Davenport again crossed for Tracey to slot home and make it six two. McMonagle torments Colts with double hat trick.Moville Celtic 11-1 Gleneely ColtsPremier division Moville were much too strong for first division Gleneely with Inishowen striker Nigel McMonagle gradbbing a double hat trick.McMonagle fired his side into a 3rd minute lead after controlling well before beating a defender and seeing his shot take a deflection past Martin Mooney.Minutes later he turned provider when he crossed for Joe Doherty to head home from eight yards.On 8 minutes it was three nil after Tony Boyce laid the ball off to Raymond Campbell whose powerful effort was well parried by Mooney but McMonagle pounced to drill the loose ball home.Indeed but for Mooney in the colts goal the margin of victory would have been much heavier as he saved well from McMonagle, Boyce and Doherty in succession. Midway through the half the home side added another when Boyce split the home defence for Joe Doherty to round Mooney and slot home.They made it five nil then when Campbell surged through the middle and fed Boyce on the right and he drilled a low shot across Mooney to the far corner.McMonagle then completed his hat trick when a corner fell to him at the back post and he blasted to the roof of the net on the stroke of half time.Gleneely kept trying and got one back on 48 minutes when Barry Diver fired a powerful shot past Sean McGuinness despite the keeper getting a hand to it. Moville replied immediately and both Eddie McNamee and Enda Folan cleared efforts off the line.Moville upped the tempo again and a superb crossfield pass from substitute Graeme Doherty released McMonagle who poked past the advancing Mooney.Things got worse for the Colts when Joe Doherty’s corner deflected off a defender past the keeper. A superb effort from Shane Canning crashed off the bar and again McMonagle was first to react to slot the ball home before another substitute PJ Barr got in on the act when he scored a fine solo goal after evading a number of tackles in the area.McMonagle completed his double hat trick when he converted from close range in the latter stages.O’Doherty inspire the Hearts to the next roundBuncrana Hearts Res 2-1 Dunree UnitedA bitterly cold wind blowing towards the club end of the ground was the dominant factor in this closely fought Credit Union Cup match. Hearts opened the brightest and it was 9 minutes before Dunree started to come into the game when David laird had his snap shot from the edge of the penalty box saved by Hearts keeper O’ Doherty. O’ doherty was to be the busiest of the two keepers in the first half with Conor Mc Bride testing him on thirteen minutes other than that Dunree were restricted to long-range efforts.But in the 27th minute Dunree’s Thomas Mulhern crossed and it just evaded an unmarded David McLaughlin on the back post. Then Dunree scored on 36 minutes Neil Moran latched onto a hopeful long ball, he ran though on the Buncrana goals and when O’ Doherty blocked his first shot the ball rebounded kindly for Moran and he was able to stroke the ball into an unguarded net. Then on 38 minutes on a rare sortie into the Dunree half Buncrana won a corner on their right. This was driven in low by Deckey Fullerton and met by the on rushing Senan Murphy who volleyed it to the back of the net. Dunree responded with both Sean Doherty and Neil Moran forcing Hearts keeper O’ Doherty into action.Hearts opened the second half brightly and with the breeze now in their favour they forced a corner on their left which was worked back to Paddy Mc Myler whose dangerous cross was not dealt with by the Dunree defence and it ended up in the back of the net after taking a deflection of a defender to make it two one to the Hearts. Hearts continued to dominate with Deckey Fullerton , Johnny Eccles and Alan Friel all caming close to scoring. With Dunree restricted to the occassional breakout it was not until the final five minutes that they were able to mount a period of concerted pressure but they were only able to win a couple of corners and free kicks which all came to nothing and so Hearts progress to the next rouund of the Credit Union Cup. Doherty fired second half winner to put Cockhill throughCockhill Celtic Yths 1-0 Culdaff FCLast years beaten finalists Culdaff exited the cup at the first round stage in a hard fought encounter at Cockill in bitterly cold conditions.Culdaff shaded the first half with Conor O’Brien seeing an early shot well held by Leo McColgan in the home goal.The visitors then spurned a gilt edged chance when O’Brien broke on the left and picked out Brendan McLaughlin but with the goal at his mercy he blazed over the top.Cockhill upped the tempo on the restart and scored the crucial goal when Derek Doherty excellent strike from the edge of the area flew through a crowd of players past Darragh McLaughlin. Culdaff replied and McLaughlin crossed for O’Brien’s glancing header to drift just past the far post. Minutes later the ball dropped at the back post for O’Briens first time effort from a tight angle to be well saved by McColgan. Cockhill had the final chance of the game when Greg Bradley unleashed a powerful effort which Mclaughlin tipped onto the bar.Byrne spot on to send Carn into last eight Carn FC 1-0 Aileach FCIt was the visitors who started the better with Gavin Doherty crossing for Darren McMonagle whose powerful effort was well tipped over by Gerard Crossan.Carn responded and on 15 minutes Ryan Kelly crossed to Caomhan Canny whose low effort was well saved by Conor Carlin.Michael Byrne then for the home side had two free kicks on target saved by Carlin but in between McMonagle’s cross found Ruairi Bradley who fired over from fifteen yards.Before the interval McMonagle then crossed for Bradley but this time he shot narrowly wide when well placed.Twice in as many minutes on the restart Carns Matthew Byrne saw one free kick collected well by Carlin before another fell to Canny but he fired wide when in a good position.Aileach had a purple spell then with Bradleuy’s free finding the unmarked Anthony Doherty who failed to hit the target before Doherty raced clear onto McMonagle’s pass to round Crossan but from a tight angle see his effort clip the outside of the post.Doherty then broke past two tackles and fed McMonagle inside the area but again he fired wide.The deadlock was broken on 85 minutes when Michael Byrne converted a penalty awarded after he had been upended in the area.They almost added a late second after Canny raced onto a long clearance from Crossan but saw his effort beaten away by Carlin.Glengad get upper hand in second halfGlengad United 4-0 QPSThere were few chances in the opening half with defences on top and chances at a premium.On 20 minutes the points Dean Barron saw his effort from twenty yards well saved by Michael McLaughlin. Barron then breached the home defence again but this time McLaughlin advanced to smother at his feet.Glengads only threat of the half came when Stephen McLaughlin broke on the right and crossed for Patrick McDermott but he headed into the ground allowing Conor McColgan to gather.The deadlock was broken on 50 minutes when Glengad were awarded a free kick on the edge of the are and John McDaid fired to the top corner.Good work by Terence Doherty then on the right saw him find McDermott but when his effort was blocked by Kevin Wallace the rebound fell to Doherty who blazed over.Glengad doubled their lead on 63 minutes when Paul McLaughlin despatched a twenty yards free to the bottom corner despite McColgan getting a hand to it.Glengad were on top now and added a third after Stephen McLaughlin crossed for substitute Daniel McDaid to slot home from close range.They completed the scoring when John G Mclaughlin fired a crisp low effort from twenty yards to the bottom corner.Rasheney overturn half time deficit to advance.Moville Celtic Res 1-3 Rasheney FCMoville had a lot of possession in the opening half but found it difficult to create any clear chances.They did take the lead on the half hour when a bizarre defensive error saw the visiting keeper put the ball down for what he thought was offside and Conor Lafferty pounced to walk the ball into the empty net.Rasheney got back on terms within three minutes of the restart when John McLaughlin’s free kick from the left found Christy Ivers to head home from eight yards.On 55 minutes they took the lead when James Cooke’s long throw in found McLaughlin who headed high past Maurice McGeady in the home goal.Ten minutes later they increased their lead when a deep corner by McLaughlin found the unmarked Anthony Doherty at the back post and he headed home.Rasheney comfortably saw out the remainder of the game with the long throw ins of Cooke continually unsettling the home defence.Devlin hits hat trick as Shamrocks rout GreencastleClonmany Shamrocks 8-0 Greencastle FCThere was never any chance of an upset as Clonmany raced into a four nil lead within twenty minutes at Shamrock Park.They opened the scoring on 6 minutes when Marty Doherty fed Mark McLaughlin on the left and he crossed for Paul McLaughlin to fire low past Seamus Bovaird from eight yards.Minutes later it was two nil after Jason Devlin scored direct from a corner with Bovaird blinded by the sun.A poor clearance fell to Jason Devlin and he calmly fired past Bovaird from the edge of the area before Bovaird punched clear from a corner only for Raymond McDaid to volley superbly past the retreating keeper.Greencastle tried to reduce the deficit and when Sean Mc Quillan ‘s corner found Sean Cavanagh his header deflected behind off a defender. From that corner Cavanagh’s effort was cleared off the line by Mark McLaughlin.The best goal of the game arrived on 40 minutes after Marty Doherty played a one two with McDaid before releasing Paul McLaughlin who crossed for Brendan Devlin to head home from seven yards.Amother corner on the stroke of half time saw Bovaird punch out to Philip Devlin who returned a first time volley to the bottom corner. Greencastle had the first chance of the second period when Jack Keys corner came off the face of the crossbar.Substitute Michale Devlin then raced onto fello sub Conor Bradley’s pass but his effort was superbly saved by Bovaird before Jason Devlin completed his hat trick when he ran onto Paul Mclaughlin’s through ball before slotting low past Bovaird.They completed the scoring when Michael Devlin converted a penalty awarded after brother Jason was upended.Greencastle almost got a consolation when substitute Conor Barrow got in behind the home defence from a quick throw and crossed for Ciaran Moore whose effort was blocked by the legs of Patrick Harkin and then cleared.The last chance fell to the home side when Jason & Michael Devlin combined for the latter to cross and Bradley’s glancing header went just past the post.Inishowen Engineering Reserve Premier Division ReportsCockhill Res 4-2 Clonmany ResPlayed in bitterly cold conditions Cockhill dominated the opening half with the advantage of a strong wind.As early as the third minute Marty Bradley unleashed a twenty five yards effort which Roger McGilloway tipped over the bar and from the corner Jim Doherty blazed over when well placed.They took the lead on 9 minutes after the Clonmany defence misjudged a long throw in Ryan Duffy to score at the second attempt after McGilloway had saved his initial effort.They went close again when a Jim Doherty volley from twelve yards crashed off the post before they doubled their lead before the interval when Declan Kearney’s corner found Duffy who volleyed home at the back post.Clonmany as expected came more into the game on the restart and got a goal back on 51 minutes when Dean Kelly fired a superb free kick past Lee McCarron in the home goal.They got back on terms on 67 minutes when a poor clearance fell to Brian Devlin and he fired to the top corner from twenty two yards.Clonmany seemed to lsoe their way after this and Cockhill on the break were always dangerous.Cockhill regained the lead when Alan Fletcher’s clearance found Michael Coyle on the left and he advanced to cross for Duffy to dink the ball over the advancing keeper and complete his hat trick.Clonmany pressed but found the home defence a tough nut to crack and on the stroke of full time Cockhill sealed the points when Ricky Fullerton crossed from the right for Duffy to volley past McGilloway and get his fourth goal of the game.Culdaff Res 4-1 Sea RoversPlayed in very wet and windy conditions the home side with the elements started well and when a Paddy McColgan corner found Ryan Greene his header crashed off the bar.Shortly after good work by David O Connor saw his low cross just elude the inrushing Niall Gordon.Culdaff broke the deadlock on 12 minutes when McColgan’s well hit free from wide on the left eluded all and flew into the top corner.Rovers replied midway through the half when good work on the right by Liam Nelson saw him feed Callum Crumlish but he fired narrowly wide.Culdaff dominated the remainder of the half and when a Gordon cross was misjudged by a Rovers defender keeper Fergal Bradley saved well.O’Connor then raced onto Mick McLaughlin’s through ball but Bradley advanced to smother at his feet.From the first of two corners by McColgan before the break the ball deflected off a defender but Paddy Logue was superbly placed to head off the line and from the second one on the stroke of half time O’Connor headed over.Against the wind Culdaff still had most of the possession but on 55 minutes Rovers broke superbly and Crumlish fired narrowly over.Just past the hour mark they got back on terms when with the home defence appealing in vain for offside Nelson played Crumlish in on the right and he superbly sold keeper George Houten before sliding the ball home.Culdaff regained the lead within four minutes when Barry Fitzpatrick fed O’Connor on the edge of the area and he spread the ball wide to Gordon whose cross shot crept in at the near post despite Bradley getting a hand to it.The introduction of substitute Seamus Mclaughlin for the home side on 70 minutes yielded immediate returns when after the rovers defence failed to clear McLaughlin calmly finished to the bottom corner from ten yards.With five minutes remaining Mclaughlin then got on the end of O’Connors mishit shot to rifle to the roof of the net and seal the points.Rovers never gave up and in the closing stages Luke Rodden had a snapshot well held by Houten before in a quick break Nelson unleashed a twenty yards effort which Houten superbly turned behind low to his left.Aileach Res 3-0 Glengad ResLeague leaders Aileach continued their pursuit of the league title when they scored a hard earned win over a Glengad side they will meet in the shield final in a few weeks time.After a tense openind Eddie McGrath for the home side ran through the middle and unleashed a shot which Daniel Mullarkey saved superbly.Minutes later Stephen Doherty released McGrath into the area and this time he fired low past Mulalrkey from twelve yards.Midway through the half they doubled their lead when good work by Liam Burke saw him square the ball for McGrath to slot home from six yards.Before the interval Glengad replied and from a tight angle Niall McLaughlin saw his effort crash off the bar.Glengad started the second period well and on the hour mark Mclaughlin broke clean through but as he attempted to round keeper David McGeady the keeper smothered the ball superbly.Minutes later Gary Kelly unleashed a twenty yards effort which crashed off the bar with McGeady beaten.They continued to push and William Logan should have done better than fire straight at McGeady when well placed.Aileach lifted the tempo then with both Stephen Doherty and Johnny Devlin denied by Mullarkey.They sealed the points in the final minute after McGrath’s effort came back off the crossbar for Burke to head home from six yards.QPS Res 2-4 Carn ResThis game was switched to Carn but the point made the early running with Stephen Grant firing an early shot over before Paul Hegarty’s effort was well saved by JJ Doherty. In between those efforts Carns Niall McGuinness found Cathal Doyle with a free kick but the unmarked Doyle headed over.Midway through the half the point opened the scoring when Dean Hegarty fed Stephen Grant on the right and he fired a low shot across Doherty and just inside the far post.Minutes later they increased their lead when McIvor fired a thirty yards effort to the net despite Doherty getting a hand to it.Carn replied and McGuinness’s corner found Conor Doherty whose header was superbly saved by Brian Lynch.At the other end Fergal Buchanan saw his snapshot turned around the post by Doherty.On 43 minutes a quick break from Carn ended with Conor Doherty lifting the ball over the advancing Lynch from twenty yards.Then on the stroke of half time Carn got back on terms when McLaughlin’s free was not cleared and Doyle slotted low past Lynch from close range.In the opening minutes of the second period an attempted clearance by a point defender sailed over his own bar while at the other end Paul Hegartys free was well saved by Doherty.Caren then took the lead on 63 minutes when a long clearance sent Doherty clear and he lifted the ball over the advancing Lynch for a superb finish.Minutes later the same player was in a one on one but this time fired wide.The point upped the tempo then with John McCloskey heading a Dean Hegarty free wide before Paul Hegarty hit the side netting.They went close again after Grant’s cross found Stephen King but his diving header also flew into the side netting.Carn broke in the final minute with Doherty completing his hat trick with a superb chip over Lynch from twenty yards to give them an unexpected victory and a chance to avoid the drop.Inishowen Engineering Reserve First Division Reports 10/03/2013Written by AdministratorRasheney ROVERS 3-2 Cockhill ColtsPlaying with a strong wind in the first half Rasheney started well and Mark Gilmore had an early effort parried by Liam Lynch to Fergal Doherty whose follow up effort was saved by Lynch again.Rovers opened the scoring on 18 minutes when a long kick out by Declan Grant was allowed to bounce and Doherty raced between two defenders to drill the ball low past Lynch from fifteen yards.Cockhill replied with Kevin McDaid flashing a dangerous cross across the face of goal before the same player had a low diagonal shot well saved by Grant.Rovers responded and Ryan Gill had a shot from distance saved by Lynch .The home side increased their lead on 38 minutes when Doherty fed Anthony McEleney whose shot rebounded off the post and when the attempted clearance was blocked the ball fell kindly for Doherty to fire home from ten yards.Cockhill tried to reply and Gary Breslin’s shot on the run drifted just wide. Rovers made it three nil then before the break when McEleney released George Doherty on the right and he fired low past Lynch from twelve yards.Cockhill started the second half in determined fashion with McDaid seeing a close range effort blocked by Grant before the defence cleared.The colts got one goal back on 51 minutes when a McDaid cross came off a home defender and looped over Grant and in off the post.Within minutes they had got a second goal back when Bernard Gubbins twenty five yards free squirmed under Grants body.Cockhill spurned a great chance on 75 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for handball but Breslin’s spot kick was deflected onto the post by the legs of Grant.This seemed to give Rasheney new impetus and they defended stoutly.The home side had the final chance of the game when McEleney’s looping effort beat Lynch but landed on the roof of the net.Dunree Res 4-4 Moville YouthsIn very blustery conditions both teams deserve credit for this entertaining encounter.Dunree began well and took the lead on 5 minutes when Thomas Doherty scored direct from a corner.Minutes later they made it two nil after great work from TJ McKinley saw him cross for Doherty to slot home his second.Moville rallied and reduced the deficit when Oran McDermott converted a penalty awarded after Kevin McDermott was upended.They then got back on terms before the interval when Kevin McDermott’s cross from the right evaded all and crept in at the back post.Within minutes of the restart the youths had taken the lead after Conor Radcliffe headed home a corner at the back post. But Dunree rallied and equalised on 66 minutes with good work by McKinley seeing him cross for Doherty to complete his hat trick from close range.Dunree regained the lead on 72 minutes when a loose ball broke in the area for Joe Carlin to blast to the roof of the net from twelve yards. Moville pushed forward and again got back on terms when Oran McDermott fired a stunning thirty yards free kick to the top corner.Redcastle Res 3-0 Greencastle ResThe home side got off to a dream start as they close in on the league title and promotion when they took the lead on 7 minutes after Stephen McCauley crossed from the right for Greg Breslin to slot low past Tom Houston in the visitors goal..They continued to press and Robert McLaughlin saw a snapshot well saved by Houston.On 11 minutes the home side increased their lead after Breslin crossed for McCauley and he slotted low to the bottom right hand corner from eight yards.The visitors tried to reply and when Ronan Doherty found space he unleashed a twenty five yards effort which flew just over the bar.Before the break the home side’s Liam McLaughlin was also just over with a good effort from outside the box.Redcastle dominated the second period but found clear chances at a premium. On 53 minutes Mervyn Gourley advanced on the right and cross but McCauley headed over.They added their third on 71 minutes when Aiden Cunningham found Stephen McGowan who crossed for Breslin to slot home from close range.Breslin then had a glorious chance to complete his hat trick when he raced clear and with only Houston to beat he fired over the bar.Illies Res 2-1 Rasheney ResThis defeat could be crucial for Rasheney as their title hopes look to be well and truly dashed now.With the wind Rasheney dominated but found clear cut chances at a premium.They did take the lead on 21 minutes when John Doherty fired a superb twenty yards effort to the roof of the net past Thomas Grant.Illies did respond midway through the half when Marty Coyle broke through the defensive cover but fired over the top.Rasheney almost doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when John Doherty’s snapshot was brilliantly saved by Grant.Illies with the wind in their backs dominated the second period but they too found it difficult to create clear chances.It took them until the 70th minute to get back on terms after Dominick Doherty fed Marty Coyle on the edge of the area and he fired to the roof of the net past Sean Friel.Two minutes later they struck for the winner when Coyle beat two defenders on the edge of the area and fired again high past Friel to the roof of the net.The home side continued to press and Charlie Mclaughlin was denied by a superb one handed save from Friel before in the closing minutes Friel again saved well from a Dominick Doherty free.ALL REPORTS COURTESY OF THE INISHOWEN LEAGUEINISHOWEN LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: March 10th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Inishowen Leaguelast_img read more